So, a few weeks ago Bart found a rattlesnake outside on our driveway. I guess that makes 11 found so far this summer in our neighborhood. I knew they were out there, but to actually find one right on your driveway makes it all too real for me. We found quite a few snakes when we were building our house a few years ago mainly Blow Snakes and brown rubber snakes(I honestly hate them all), but since then it seemed it was only all our neighbors that were finding all the snakes, which I was fine with. Well it seems things have changed. Yesterday on the way to church in front of our house we drove right up next to a huge blow snake. Well my husband, the snake lover, stopped to check it out. Well, he got out and as he was looking at it, is slithered up the front wheel of the car and somehow got in some part of the car, we still have no idea..since it hasn't come out while we have been watching. Bart said that if it dodn't climb out while we were at church then it is probably dead up in the car. The thought of a snake anywhere in my car is driving me absolutely in sane. I am paranoid about getting in the car and out. I have to look all around the inside just to make sure it hasn't wiggled its way through the car vents or something. When I had to get something out of my trunk I was certain it would be sitting coiled up waiting to bite me, luckily it wasn't. I refuse to park the car in the garage...just in case it climbs out. Well, then last night, Bart was outside and he calls me while I am reading stories to Hannah and asks me to hurry and bring out a glass jar...knowing that this means he found some critter, I ask what it is...and of course its another snake. This one was just a baby...maybe 8 inches long...he was certain after examining it, that it was a blow snake, but rattlesnakes and blow snakes look very similar. The only real difference is a slight difference in the shape of their heads and the blow snake doesn't have rattlers, but it pretends like it does. Supposedly blow snakes eat rattlesnakes, so they are known as the good snakes around these places, but I say-kill them all. They will still bite! Hannah and Casey loved the baby snake. They asked me, "mommy, do you think the baby snake is cute?" I said, "no way...mommy doesn't like any kids of snakes." Hannah said, "Come on mommy, look at his cute little head and tongue." Since I couldn't talk him into killing the snake, I pleaded with him not to let it go up by our house where he found it. Suprisingly, he gave in and let it go down closer to the road(still on our property) but atleast it wasn't too close! So, three snakes within just a couple weeks...so not fun!
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Heather-
I am right there with ya. We had a big rattle snake show up right next to our back door on my birhtday in June. It was sunning himself right where my friends little kids had been playing 30 minutes earlier. That's all I could think about for days. I think I about drove my husband nuts. I hate hate hate them and I don't feel bad saying that even though I am constantly telling my kids never to say hate but to just say that I really don't like something. But I really really HATE them. I can see why satan is compared to a snake!!! Lindsey (Lester) Frongner
Cute blog by the way!!! It is way fun to see your cute little family.
Post a Comment