
I had to post this so I could have it in my blog book and can remember the feelings I have when my kids are growing up. Hannah just said to me, 'Mom, ta morning I go to Kindergarten? Well, don't walk me to class. I want ta walk all by myself. You know outside and into my class. I saw some other kids do it and it looks kinda fun.' For real?? I know its only 20 steps..but I love walking with her and giving her that one last kiss goodbye. Everyday, its been the same routine. Her and I hold hands as we walk down the sidewalk into her school and I drop her off to stand in line outside the classroom door until her teacher calls them into class. It was hard at first to leave her in line and watch her walk so brave into her classroom. I have to be honest. The first few days I stayed in the hall until her teacher came. Then I watched outside for a couple days until the teacher came. Now, I am ok with walking her into the school and watching her go stand in line after a big kiss and hug and an 'I love you.' But now she doesn't even want to walk with me? I'm not so good at this letting go stuff. For heaven's sake she is only six! I think I may just have to insist she lets me walk with her. I will just tell her I need the exercise!!
Post Script:
The day after--
Today when I drove up to the school, I said 'so are you sure you want to walk all by yourself to your classroom today?' She looked at me and then looked out the window to see her new little friend Lincoln walking by himself and said, 'Yep. Mom you stay here and watch me. Ok?' I said ok and she gave me a kiss goodbye and was on her way. Just before she walked through the school doors she looked back and waved super hard with a big grin. I was so proud of her. It is so fulfilling to watch your kids grow and just be the great kids that they are. I couldn't help but worry that she really did make it in to her class ok and I thought about parking and running in just to be sure, but I refrained. I have to admit, I do have it easier than moms that send their kids on the bus, but still, its hard stuff letting go.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
For memories sake...
Posted by The LaMont Family at 8:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment