Thursday, July 30, 2009

Montana


Oh we love love love Montana. Ever since last year's trip the kids have not stopped talking about it...to help us remember how much we love it there, we sing, 'Meet Me in Montana, I want to see the mountains in your eyeeeeeeeyes, whoa whoa, I've had all of this life I can handle...meet me underneath that big Montana sky'...seriously over and over and over.(If you are familiar with the song I bet you can't get it out of your head now and you better jump on over to YouTube and listen to it) Hannah, Casey and I just love it and it brings back all those sweet memories of being together with family in beautiful Montana...which does have a beautiful clear sky and the mountains we love, lakes to fish in and lovely temperatures to hike in.

Each day after a yummy breakfast we hiked up to one of the lakes. The men and kids ride horseback and since I have not become a horse rider...I hike, and this year I hiked with my sweet Aspen on my back in a hiking pack. She was such a good baby back there and we survived it somehow! By the time I had packed everything I needed for Aspen alone...I wondered if I would have room for enough water to get me there and back! Thank goodness for my sweet husband, that I think really loves me, and as soon as he reached the lakes he would come back for me and carry Aspen the last 1/2 mile or so. The hike alone is a good workout, let alone with a chubby 8 month old on your back, plus we have to cross many streams, the river, and climb over ALOT of fallen trees along the path. Some hightlights from the hikes: I only got us lost once, we sprayed deet on us atleast every hour I swear beacuse of all the mosquitos, decided on the hike back it would just be easier to walk through the river than try to cross it, and having some genuinely great converstaions with my sis in law, which made me realize we really are more alike than I ever thought before.

Hannah and Casey were sure in their element and Casey was learning all the tricks to being a real cowboy from grandpa. Grandpa taught him to be sure to wear his chaps so his legs won't rub on the saddle, always be nice to the girls, and stay awake-because cowboys don't sleep on horses(last year Casey didn't do wo well with the latter). Grandpa was so good to let Casey ride on his horse both days and Hannah was able to ride with uncle Drew and daddy. Hannah loved playing with the frog daddy caught for her, running with scamp, and catching worms for fishing. The kids loved being with the family, they have some pretty great aunts and uncles that sure made the time so much more fun. One of the best memories was watching Hannah and Casey sit with their great unlce Art for a good hour or more and just talk about everything. Casey told him he was the best fisherman and kept calling him, 'grandpa's friend.' They thought he was pretty cool since he caught more fish than their daddy and uncles and he gave all of them to the kids. They loved eating the fish back at camp....yumm yumm!! I really didn't want to come home. It was one of the best trips so far and can't wait to go back!















(oh--so my kids just ran down and we are now singing again...'Meet me in Montana for the 5th time I think today, funny stuff!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, your Montana pictures are so cute. I loved all of them, it looks like you guys had so much fun. Love ya Mom

Gina Sims said...

Heather I found your blog, hope you don't mind! You have the cutest family! Feel free to check out my blog if you would like to ginasims.blogspot.com
Gina