Monday, July 28, 2008

Montana Trip


So, this past weekend we made the trip up to beautiful Montana. Bart's family makes the trip every year around the 24th of July ever since Bart was about 12. Bart's dad lived there a few years growing up. We figured the kids were old enough now that we would take them up. I have only been there once before just shortly after Bart and I were married, and I absolutely loved it. We had a great time and the kids loved it. I made the crazy decision to hike up to Miner's Lake with them Saturday...and am feeling the pain now! I am sure that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I am over 5 months pregnant and Bart said the round trip was close to 10 miles...and not 10 miles of flat ground...we are talking up the mountain. All the men rode up on horses, while me, Tasha, and Joyce hiked. Hannah rode the first little while on a horse, but decided she wanted to walk with us girls. So Bart switched the kids and led Casey on the horse.
It wasn't long before Hannah's little legs were so tired, but the horses were soon out of sight, so we had to keep encouraging her on. Tasha carried her on her back a few times. She probably walked a good 3 miles that day. Thankfully once Bart made it to the lake and unsaddled the horse, he walked back to find us...I don't think the men really thought we would make it that far...but Bart said he knew we wouldn't turn around. What a good guy he is! He carried Hannah the last mile to the lake. I have to say I was sooooo relieved when I saw him. We had packed our lunch and relaxed a bit befire heading back down to camp. Hannah and Casey both caught their first fish up at Miner's lake, which made the entire trip worth it!



I made sure they were both on horses the entire way back! Grandpa LaMont walked his horse Chico back with Casey on him and kept asking Casey if he was having fun playing Cowboy and sang him the song, "My Home's in Montana." Hannah was so tired from the hike there that within just minutes of riding on the back of the horse, she was swaying and about to fall asleep. Thankfully Uncle Brett noticed and Bart ended up riding the horse while holding Hannah. It was so great to finally get back to camp! My hands were so swollen that I couldn't even close my fingers and they were bigger than Bart's. I soaked them in river water along with my blistered feet. Bart cooked their fish and they devoured it. I was shocked! That night they went frog hunting and Bart caught two frogs for them...which of course we just had to bring home with us!! The kids were amazingly good and we all had a great time. It is one of the prettiest places ever and I just love being there. Casey got tears in his eyes Sunday morning when I told him it was time to get ready to go home. Can't wait to go back next year...and enjoy it not being pregnant!
I just had to add this last picture of Bart way up high in the tree. If there is a critter to catch or a tree to climb he is right there...the kids were chasing him around camp and I guess he figured this was the only way he could get away!

4 comments:

Mashelle said...

Hi Heather. It sounds like you guys had a great time. What a beautiful place. I'm glad you survived the hike! I noticed that the link you have for my blog just goes to my first post and not my current ones. It should be www.kaholoaa.blogspot.com. See you in a few weeks!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, This looks like a fun trip, what were you thinking walking all that way in your condition, I guess it is better than riding a horse. Your Mom did let us know that you and your kids were coming to the reunion, so your not late, your Mom covered for you. We don't have a lot planned for the reunion, so I hope everyone has fun. Can't wait to see everyone. See ya later, Uncle Mikal

RussandHeidi said...

Looks like fun! I can't believe you hiked all that way being preggers! Wow you are a trooper! Hope you are having a great day! See you at the reunion

Anonymous said...

I loved all of the pictures of the kids/ so cute sure do miss them. Tell them I will see them soon. Love Grandma Jill